|Contract Duration:||5 months|
|Grading:||€780 per month (with accommodation if need be)|
|Closing Date:||11 May 2021|
Science in School is the prestigious European journal for science teachers. Its mission is to support teachers in the delivery of their STEM curricula, by connecting them to inspiring, cutting-edge science and technology. Science in School is a collaborative effort by eight pan-European research organizations, which span the full breadth of the life, physical, environmental and computational sciences and engineering. Published online in English, the journal provides teachers with articles, lesson plans and background materials to support classroom activity, and aims to help teachers inspire and enthuse students. We are recruiting an intern to assist in completing the migration of our www.scienceinschool.org website from Drupal to WordPress. You’ll assist in ensuring a high technical quality of content and the overall function of the website. This position is for five months and is an excellent opportunity for someone to grow experience in website technical functionality, WordPress workflows, user experience, and using software like Google Analytics to track goal performance. There are also opportunities for further editorial or front-end web development experience, as may suit the goal of Science in School and the intern’s aspirations. The role will be of particular interest to those with a background or interest in STEM.
- Review and correct layout and content issues that might occur after the migration.
- Check the website’s performance on different devices (mobile phones, tablets, different screen sizes).
- Manually move content from existing platform to the new CMS (Wordpress).
- Check that the functionality of the website (search, filtering options etc) works properly.
- Check that all taxonomies are properly migrated and associated.
- Check for potential errors reported by Google Analytics or Google Search Console.
- Perform general quality control tasks and report issues to the team.
- Fluent English (German language skills are not required)
- The ability to work well in a team and in a deadline-driven environment.
- A diligent, detail-oriented approach.
- The ability to quickly pick up new digital tools.
- Competence with using standard Microsoft Office software, Google Docs, and Adobe Acrobat.
You might also have
- Working knowledge of web-based content management systems, in particular Wordpress and Drupal.
- Good understanding of Google products (Google Analytics, Google Search Console) and SEO best practices.
- Familiarity with using editorial and web style guides.
- Familiarity with image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop.
- A keen eye for detail with regard to design, aesthetic and content.
- An interest in science and/or education would be an advantage.
Why join us
EMBL gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international with a very collegial and family friendly working environment.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).